Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bitter or Better?

Here’s the thing about bitterness, it is the bitter person who is weighed down and affected by it, not the person, people or situation that the bitterness is directed at. It’s something that takes up your time, causes stress, and the feeling of bitterness overflows into relationships, and how you handle other situations. It can put a strain on every other aspect of your life and somehow the initial bitter feelings continue to intensify until you are so mad and so bitter over something that you realize that whatever it was you were so mad about is quite small in comparison to how much it is frigging up your life!

Isn't it so funny how the simple solution is to "let it go." Anyone ever say that to you? Hey man, just let it go. Yet if it was somehow that simple to just "let it go" wouldn't we just do that and then get on with the rest of the day? If you want to know the truth, it is HARD to let it go when someone "wrongs" you or treats you unfairly. It is hard not to dwell on those things as we are so much more inclined to share bad news then good. Ever see that show "The News?" It IS FULL of bad news. That is the way we are.

Here is what we NEED to do (lots of CAPS in this post eh?) we need to ask God for help and grant "forgiveness" and "grace" in these times. You know? The same forgiveness and grace that God grants me everyday. Imagine if God got all bitter and held grudges for all the stupid things we've done... that would be a bad scene. Now compare how much you've sinned against God and what things you have done to him to the bitterness that may be in your life right now against someone or some people. Yikes... ever feel about 6 inches tall?

A Homiletics Professor of mine once told me in every tough situation that comes our way we can be Bitter or Better.

I hope I can consistently make the right choice.

1 comment:

Katherine Karen said...

hey Ben!
I'm not currently aware of your personal struggle, but a quote I once read said "smile at everyone, for they are fighting their own battle."
and when life deals you a hand that you just can not play, fold, and play again! A situation in my life happened where I should have been bitter, not that we ever should be, but if any one had an excuse to be bitter...mine was the closest you could get to exceptional, but I was told to "stay sweet" as oppose to bitter. I think those words have stuck since, and I try to address others appropriately and demonstrate a 'sweet' attitude, and when I am unable, I remove myself from the presence of others, in fear I may express some undeserving, hurtful words. So you're constantly on my prayer list Ben, and not in a condescending way either, but rather you're my friend, and you always will be.

ps - I wrote in my blog today actually as well...and I haven't since the summer, so its been a fairly long time. And then I just clicked on your blog after posting mine, and surprisingly, you wrote a blog today too! I just thought that was neat. :)