Monday, November 08, 2010

Double Down

Over the weekend I was travelling with some students on a ministry weekend for Maritime Christian College. On our way over we stopped at McAllister Mall to eat and stretch. I was scanning the options in the food court for something we don't have on the island but nothing seemed all that appealing so I wondered over to KFC. Now, you may or may not be familiar with it but KFC has this new sandwich that was actually blocked from Canada for a time called the "Double Down" as seen in the picture. There is no bun. It is two pieces of chicken, with two pieces of cheese, 3 strips of bacon and some sort of mayo-like sauce. I'm not sure of the nutritional breakdown but I can't imagine it is too good for you but man it was tasty! Anyhow, while I was in line fully intending to buy this meal I stood behind a woman who ordered one of the regular sandwiches (the ones with a bun!) and asked for them to hold the lettuce which is pretty much the only redeeming part of any KFC order. I kind of snickered to myself thinking of how she was removing that single remotely healthy ingredient until I realized, "who am I to laugh? I'm about to order the most unhealthy combo known to man!"

That kind of made me think of how easily we slip into judgment of other people. Talk about seeing a spec over a plank! But it really is amazing how we like to do that. In fact I've found that we will be even more likely to see wrongs in other people that are things we actually don't like about ourselves. If someone goes off on you all at once over something that really isn't that big of a deal, odds are it is something they are struggling with themselves. I guess when it comes right down to it we need to be continually making sure we have the specs or planks free from our own eyes. Only then can we help our brothers and sisters with their struggles, which is a much better approach then passing silent judgment!

No comments: