Thursday, April 07, 2005

Mediocrity

Have you ever settled? Compromised? Aimed below the bar? I have. In fact I tend to make it a habit sometimes. It’s something that I struggle with. For example I just finished a paper tonight that I would call “mediocre.” I think it is one of those papers that you pass in, get back and show no one. I just read it and it stinks, but I still have a ton more to write and I can’t redo it. But I hate that. I’ve put a bunch of stuff off, yet again, and now I have to cram it all in and do a crappy job and I don’t want to! Because I can do better. I should do better.

I’m not sure why but I can be a major slacker sometimes. And it’s not the way I was brought up because both of my parents and my brother are very hard workers. And I am too when I want to be. But when It comes to stuff that is just for me like getting high grades or even keeping a clean room I just kind of leave it sometimes. It needs to change.

I believe that God made me a capable person. I believe that He’s made all capable to accomplish great things. He made me with a twisted mind and has given me gifts to use it and I need to. I really believe that when we shoot for the stars we can accomplish incredible things! Anyone can! And yet we look into the mountains that wait for us to conquer them and then what… what do we do? What do I do? I settle, I say “no that is too big for me, someone else will get that one.” NO! Frig that! If there is a mountain before me then I want to be the one to conquer it! Not someone else, it’s the mountain I was meant to climb! Why because it’s in my path and I can do it!!! Because God doesn’t make mountains I can’t climb. He can do incredible things through me. And he can do incredible things through you. No matter who you are reading this. God can use you and He wants to. Will you let Him. I plan on it.

There is a sound byte on an awesome blog that I have stumbled upon and you need to listen to it. The whole thing. Its not that long and wait until the sound stops, not the music because there is a final statement that you need to hear. The man speaking is Erwin McManus. You need to listen to it. And add this blog to your favorites while you’re at it. Its great. Here’s the link: http://disciplesjournal.blogspot.com/

Please don’t settle for anything less than everything God has for you.

4 comments:

Lon said...

Hey Ben, thanks for linking me! Yes, Erwin McManus has definitely inspired me to live with all my strenght for Christ. Awesome hearing him speak to your heart as well!

Anonymous said...

how on earth do you ever come across such amazingness?? really. i'm astonished. However, in the first paragraph or so, no matter *how* many times we tell ourselves that, y'know throw motivation around, think about our future successes etc. etc. etc. We still seem to procrastinate//slack. its unfortunate really, maybe i don't want to admit it, because then people will expect to much of me. I am really smart. however, my grades say otherwise, and why is that?? because i'm not trying, because i believe there'll be time, or i will get lucky and it won't count. but you know what, IT ALL COUNTS and we will find this out the hard way, right now we're just going with the flow taking things one by one. and it does need to be stopped. WE ARE capable of *SO* much more than we do.

<3 always--your secret blog admirer ;]
ps: i'm singing a solo "hungry (falling on my knees)" :) tomorrow at my church along with reading scripture [[IN THE SAME SERVICE!!]] :D Acts 1: 1-8, & Psalm 68: 1-10, 32-35
I am beyond excited, despite waking up at 7am on a sunday (usually wake around 10..) *sigh* Its for the man upstairs, its for thee one and only. The Lord <3 thus; i won't ever mind. =) i'm in such a happy mood right now, and would you believe it, i'm procrastinating from chores =D or as my friend matt would say "relunctant and lazy"..? if i remember correctly

"Where's your head at?" is on the stereo right now~ Where's yours??
lol with love -again- moi.

Anonymous said...

I always told my children to do their best - that one's best is all one can do. I think that all of us are guilty of giving less than our best sometimes. Procrastination doesn't mean that we are not hard workers - and because we sometimes put things off doesn't mean we are slack or lazy or incapable. I believe that procrastination is a personality trait that we need to learn to manage; and i believe that - that trait is not necessarily always a bad thing. We are all different (thank God for that) - life would be pretty dull if we were all the same .... I think God must have thought so too! Often those of us who put things off or procrastinate suffer from the "negative" side of that trait. it causes us stress and frustration and - it often annoys other people too (LOL)...but the world needs a few of us. In short: don't sell yourself short, try to do your best and be who you are - procrastination and all. i love you.

Ben said...

Thanks Mom,