Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mom

Today was mother's day and I, for the second year in a row, did not see my mother on this day. I call had to do as I am in a different province than my mother. That kind of sucks but sometimes circumstances don't allow things to go the way we would have them go. But that does not take away from how special this day is. Not that it's a crazy important event (we don't even exchanged presents!) but it is a day to reflect on the love of a mother and what that means to a life.

Of all the doubts of things I've had in my life and all of life's unanswerable questions, not once in my life do I recall wondering: "does my mother love me?" I always knew the answer: yes. Sure there were times when we didn't see eye to eye and times when there was no way I was going to see her side of things but one thing I always knew and believed in my heart was that my mother loved me unconditionally and she wanted what was best for me.

I think that her love or perhaps more her loving actions are clearer to me now then when I lived many of them. My mother always knew exactly where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, and when I would be back. AND if I was going to be late then I had better find a phone or I would wish that I had found one! You would think I was a freaking criminal! My mother wouldn't let me go and stay places until she or my father had met their parents!! And there are several occasions that I can remember where I was sure I was not allowed to participate simply because my mother was "mean!"

But the thing that I didn't understand was that my mother wanted what was best for me even when I didn't understand what that meant. I have never been drunk, I have never done drugs, I have never smoked, I have never been arrested and I really don't regret any of those things and I can't help but think that my loving mother had something to do with it all.

So I want to say thank-you mom. Thank you so much for your love and guidance that I still value today. I'm sorry that I haven't always been the best son, and that I couldn't tell you all this in person. Thank you for your part in raising me and letting me go as well. You're the best, Thank God for you, I love you.

No comments: