Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Talkin 'bout my generation

The more I work with people the more I realize that we don't change as much as we think sometimes. As each person grows up and grows older and obviously some changes occur, but to my amazement and utter fear there are many things that stay the same.

From a young age people are taught to revere their elders because of their maturity, and we ought to do that. I believe that you ought to respect everyone or at least treat them respectfully. As I work with youth and young people I see a lot of senseless arguing over nothing, I see slander, gossip and actions that are just mean and hateful. And among them there are the few who have matured a little and have found a way to rise above some of that.

But folks this is the thing that frightens me: I see youth (from which I am not far removed, I’m only 20!) that I work with act in this mean hateful way, and then I turn to those who are “mature” and see the exact same thing! I still see slander, gossip, roomers and the like. And I feel sick. They act in the very same way, they just aren’t so obvious about it.

So I have come to conclusions about maturity and respect. “Maturity doesn’t come with age it comes with acceptance of responsibility.”—Ed Cole
It is about making a choice about how you want to live and living that way. I have more respect for some of my youth then many adults. I believe that you should act in a respectful way to all who are around you, but you will not earn my respect simply by growing old. A tree can grow old. Now let me also say that I respect the wisdom that only comes with age and experience and I am in no way trying to downplay the maturity of those who are older AND wiser than I. That is not my goal. But let me say to the young of which I am a part, take responsibility and gain maturity by your life and not by your age.

1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

No comments: