Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Counsel From the Wise

Sometimes in life we just run up against walls, get discouraged, and feel like we don't know what to do. I feel like that sometimes. At times like these you can feel like giving up or you can reach out for help. I prefer the latter. Don't get me wrong, I can be as prideful as they come and don't enjoy asking for help. But I find i benefit so much from drawing from the wisdom and experience of mature Christians. This week I was blessed by a few different older brothers in Christ whose experience, insight, and encouragement are like gas in the tank for my ministry. I believe an important part of our Christian walk is the respect of our elders. I don't just mean the church leaders nor do I simply mean those who have completed the task of evading death. But those who have a wealth of experience and wisdom that has given them strong Christian Character. What a wonderful blessing it is to take advantage of what they have to share. I'm glad that I haven't missed out on this resource and I hope you are wise enough yourself to do the same.

8 comments:

Harley McCarville said...

WOW ... well put Ben. I too have a hard time asking for help or insight ... Pride Holds me Back ... but I do find myself more and more opening up and reaching out for wisdom, advice and biblical direction from my more mature christian brothers. Amen to the christian family!!!

Great thought Bro ...

Katherine Karen said...

To be honest, I was sad at the beginning of this semester, because I wanted Fred as a professor & now I realize I have him next semester, so that really excites me! and I love talking to Mike, Matt, Dave, Dale, you, etc. Everyone here is amazing, and they have so much to say as long as I am willing to listen, which I've recently been more receptive to.

James said...

I agree, sometimes you just need to talk to people and it's good to talk to someone who may have gone through what your going through and who can give you insight and encouragement

Samara Ashley said...

I enjoy talking to people, but i have the problem of not knowing how to bring it up. So I usually like to listen, and then say

Darrell said...

Amen! Ben your right there and those who are mature in Christ, or have been given His wisdom, have a wonderful gift to encourage. We must look to be encouragers for Christ, and look to be encouraged.
There is definetly a blessing here of such an overabundance of wisdom,and it is a great advantage to being here.

randy said...

I think we are called as Christians to help mentor the younger generation. The younger generation has to have the ears to hear what the experienced Christian has to say. Paul did that with Timothy and I think that made him the leader that he needed to be. To be at the place in your life where you are willing to listen will help your ministry so much. God bless those willing to teach us young wipper snappers!

Anonymous said...

Ben, you're so right! I can't beleive I wrote that! I'm having some issues with God, not Jeff, and he's taking the rap for it. My life seems so not worth living. Thanks for your input. I'm deleting the blog.

Spiderdan said...

No problem Ben, your older brother is always here to talk to you when you are being dumb.

Just kidding, I truly value the insight I recieve weekly from my mentors and elders. What a biblical way to go.