Friday, September 24, 2004

Shooting A Sacred Cow

What happens to people who shoot a sacred cow? What else? They get lynched! Beaten! Crucified! Or beaten up, lynched and then crucified! You see what I’m getting at? It’s not a great plan. Though the change itself may be beneficial in time, those who hold that cow dear are going to take the lead person of this cow-killing brigade and… well, you know.

And that is what I have been asked to do. No not an actual cow! With a group that includes myself and two others we have the assigned task of “fixing” chapel. You see, Maritime Christian College (where I attend) has had a midday service on Wednesdays since time began. Some think it’s for the students, some think it’s for the supporters, I think it has become a performance and I can also tell you who it is NOT for… God.

Now as I melt for having blasphemed let me say this: I do not think we need to abolish chapel at all but before we can “fix” chapel we need to know what the purpose of chapel is! If it’s just something we do because that’s the way we’ve always done it than fine, let us keep on with this charade. But if this is something that is, as I understand the intension of it, supposed to be something to refresh, refill, and encourage the student body of MCC in the Lord, then we need to kill this cow and start from ground level.

I really think we could make it something to look forward to and something that would make a difference. So in this group we are going back to the drawing board and going to create something that is not just a well intentioned service which no one is certain who it is supposed to edify. But something that could reach people, encourage people, and perhaps bring people to a point where their lives could change.

And once that is finished we just need to see if we can get through the barn door… we’ll see.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Preach it brother. I've got some spare bullets if you need to borrow them.